Ahrefs.com Review - Great Explorer & Backlink Checker

Blinky

Owner
First, let me start by telling you that it is really important to know how your site is doing in SERP. Secondly, having in mind what links, authority, domain age, content and etc you have, you can predict (in most cases) where you site will be in near future. Is is smart strategy to make do your research frequently and take action when something is not going so well.

Today I will present you a SEO tool, that give you the opportunity to explore your site and check its backlinks. Why? You know why. It is all because ranking.

Before I start, I must tell you that the site has 3 types of membership - Professional ($79/month), Elite ($179/month) and Enterprise ($499/month). As you know, that the price in not the only thing that makes them different one from each other.

What is Ahrefs.com?

In a few words, Ahrefs.com is of the best SEO tools in this industry. It can show you the links poiting to your site, which is really important if you want to do your SEO strategy professionally. The tool is fast and can find new links too. Links that are shown are presented in well-looking graphic, that is correct and detailed.

Let's see the main elements, that I want to get you familiar with:

swh4.png

1. You can type your URL address and get a report just like that:

l5d3.png

2. There is more tool you can use and the site provides - Backlinks report, Domain Comparison and Batch Analysis.

vmty.png

3. The site is in 9 languages.

4. You can leave your feedback at any time. It is on every page.

qptx.png

5. There are 3 main plans and 1 that is free.

6. Online chat, where you can leave your comment and talk to someone from the support team.

tlbm.png

Ahrefs.com features:

• Shows the total amount of site links;
  • Shows the total amount of domains linking to the site;
  • Shows the all social signals;
  • Shows URL rank (Ahrefs.com raking market);
  • Shows the type of the links (redirects or text links);
  • Shows dofollow vs nofollow;
  • Shows sitewide vs not sidewides;
  • Sorting the domains by TLD;
  • Shows the anchor text of the incoming links;
  • Shows the newest and lost links.

Definitions:

Ahrefs Domain Rank - An Ahrefs metric, that shows the authority of the domain.

Backlinks - Everybody knows what "backlinks" mean. These are the links pointing to your site / page you analyze by using the tool.

Referring Domains - This is the metric, that shows the exact amount of domains (sites) linking to you.

Social metrics - Shows how much shares does the site have in social networks. The tool is not so perfect here, but you can stats is not so far away from the real digits.

URL Rank - Ahrefs's metric. Similar to Page Authority and OpenSiteExplorer, URL Rank is a metric showing the rank of the site by making comparison between sites.

Ahrefs Review - Video
[video=youtube;YmJI7xiEQvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJI7xiEQvw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The Ahrefs's tool is easy to be used. Everything is really user-friendly.

Good luck using it. ;)

Wow, great post, dude. Really informative and well-written. Will add some more info here. In case it will stat to become a good thread here.

The types of links that Ahrefs presents in its report are text vs redirect links, nofollow vs dofollow links, sitewide vs not sitewide links. You do not need to know more. You can see 3 graphics that show you the type of links, I've already mentioned.

On the graphics you can see all the links (increasing and decreasing with the time), pointing to your site. These graphics are really useful when you start your SEO. With the latest Google Penguin updates, this tool is the right solution for you. Once your site is penalized, you can see from the graphics what kind of links pointing to you, how fast the links are built. As you know when links are bad as well as fast built, your site is in a risk to be banned.

More resources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahrefs_Site_Explorer

That's from me for now. :) Will give more info in next post. My short review is just an addition. ;)

Great review of Ahrefs.com. Really. I have used the tool 3 years ago for one of my sites. The free version of course, but I see that is worth. The large companies, I think, use the biggest package. And there reason for that. Afrer all, most of them rely on Google's traffic. I will aslo give some more information of what I know about this SEO tool.

In case you do not have the money to get a paid account, you can sign up for a free one. You can use the tool free, but there are limitations, which is normal. For example, the metrics are much less than the paid account. There is also a daily limitation, that is around 10 click (as far as I remember) on the metrics per day. No matter you click on "new links", "number of domains linking to you" or "dofollow / nofollow", you are limited to 10 click per day. Every single click counts. That means that you can analyze a site for a week, which is not really impressive when you are in a competitive niche. But you can make as mush accounts as you want and when you out of clicks (credits), switch account and continue analyzing. The practice has shown that 4 account could do the job. As an business owned, I do not like this method, and do not recommend it. Everyone should make money from his work and efforts. The prices I see on the site Ok, if your site makes serious money per month.

Re: От: Ahrefs.com Review - Great Explorer & Backlink Checker

@Blinky, @Brum, thank you guys for the shared info. I will definitely give it a try later today.
You are welcome. If there is someone has used it or still use it, will be great to share with us his thoughts. I am using it and the review gives the basic things. Once I have more to write, I will do it here. :)

But, it is a great tool one of the best I have ever worked with.

От: Ahrefs.com Review - Great Explorer & Backlink Checker

And great ddos tool, which should be blocked by default.

What you mean? You've already added some of your site, and the tool blocked them?

we blocked it too Blinky :) it's open hundreds of connection from different ips which is very annoying... (sites on a shared hosting can even be stopped because of it)

and ahrefs do not comply to robots.txt even they say it comply.... so if they tell a lie for this they eventually with high probability lie for other things...

so we treat it like a spam bot, btw thanks to s1yf0x for the idea of blocking it by user agent

AhrefsBot Do NOT comply Robots.txt ahrefs.com

No, Ahrefs bot was blocked and all its ip from my sites :)
I see. :) Great move. :)

@coolice, I knew it, but some other sites, not for this one as well. The review went in different direction from what I was planning. But anyhow, we are all webmasters, and webmaster should know this. By the way, how many connection does it make per minute. ;)

coolice, I guess we`ve just ruined Blinky`s enthusiasm :) Apologies for that but the problems that ahref creates are more than the profitable info they provide.

coolice, I guess we`ve just ruined Blinky`s enthusiasm :) Apologies for that but the problems that ahref creates are more than the profitable info they provide.
No, you haven't. Just thought that for a marketing purpose is a great, technically - is not admins' favorite tool. :)

As I mentioned, any (good or bad) experience is more than welcome, no matter what it is. So, does it mean that every site with professional administration is not in the Ahrefs.com's list? Basically, if you can not see and analyze your serious competitors, what benefits could bring you, anyway?

I see. :) Great move. :)

@coolice, I knew it, but some other sites, not for this one as well. The review went in different direction from what I was planning. But anyhow, we are all webmasters, and webmaster should know this. By the way, how many connection does it make per minute. ;)

well if it obey robots.txt maybe i will be more merciful ... but 100+ diffrent ip's open a page almost every second (we can handle that but most small sites cannot) so total number will be several thousand in minute... but if they do not comply they must be hard blocked...

i know they get money from some guy / girl to check his/hers links and want to finish order fast but there are standards which you must do not violate when do business for example if a site owner want to be slow crawled (with crawl delay) or not crawled at all you must comply or most people think you do something shady except checking links and do anything to get the money... or they are useless for a site owner, just waisted cpu cycles and bandwidth for which we pay so ahref can get money fast without complying the rules..

when i saw they craw i check what is ahrefbot find that they say they obey robots so i redo robots.txt kill all connections and wait to saw the reconnect with but wen they continue they make me angry I am still not sure they do not steal content from checked sites i got them lie once on their site about the robots.txt... so next i block all US ip's but they are brazenness they reconnect again from ukraine ip's ewen with block in robots so i'm sure somthing shady going on so i block this too ... and put them in my hate list :)

Softwares like this has bots, there is no chance to crawl and get statistics. But there could be a way to make in with no unlimited connections. For example, I noticed that WebCEO - the Russian SEO software for analyzing links, keywords, comparisons and etc. has its own really aggressive bot, that no one want it crawling his site. ;)

Analyzing is all about skying, and everybody knows it. How ca you suppose to understand where your site is in your niche, if you do not compare it with those of your competitors? :)

And great ddos tool, which should be blocked by default.
If this happens, how do we suppose to use the tool properly? :) As we all know as marketers, the sites we should analyze are the biggest ones in the niche we operate in. :)

Every SEO analyzer has it. :)

От: Re: От: Ahrefs.com Review - Great Explorer & Backlink Checker

If this happens, how do we suppose to use the tool properly? :) As we all know as marketers, the sites we should analyze are the biggest ones in the niche we operate in. :)

Every SEO analyzer has it. :)

And most sysadmins block it :) Now tell me, how adequate is Your report if the bot can index just a tiny part of the site? And what about the defence? I`m pretty sure that U won`t be happy if some competitor in the niche analyses Your site to find out ur link resources.

We have a case here. :) Your sysadmin blocks the SEO tool's crawler, while the marketing guy getting reports from it in order to fight the competitors. Looks really interesting. :) As you can see the site offers an Enterprise package for ONLY $499 a month, which means that there are such clients.

No one is happy with the fact, that someone analyzing your site. There is no doubt about it. Do you know do such tools change the IPs of their crawlers? I know that you need different IPs if you want to use ScrapeBox effectively. :) If so, there could be some "good" reports before blocking the new IPs. :)

yes the bot uses different IPs, but as long as ahrefs use the same user-agent it`s easy for a sysadmin to block the requests with web application firewall. The reports are useless from my point of view. But i`m a tech guy, not a marketer.

yes the bot uses different IPs, but as long as ahrefs use the same user-agent it`s easy for a sysadmin to block the requests with web application firewall. The reports are useless from my point of view. But i`m a tech guy, not a marketer.

I do not think that this kind of softwates use a few IPs. Most of them rely on more and more. While sysadmins block particular IPs, developers and marketers keep adding new and getting their reports. Which maoes then useful.

However, I am interested in one thing, and only one - is there a prove that such tool use a great number of IPs, just to generate real and correct reports.

Горе